The Laptop Room printers
on the 8th floor have been replaced with two new, high-speed models. Please read these directions
for installing the new drivers onto your laptop. If you have any difficulties, please contact Sonny Singh
in the Library.
SAIS Library has several new databases, including:Political Risk Yearbook,
a new product for political risk assessment, is now included in the EBSCO Business Source Premier database, from 2003 to present. This online yearbook includes analysis of the current political, financial and economic risk in each of 100 countries; forecast scenarios; and economic and social data going back ten years. You can access PRY records by:
1) Connecting to the EBSCOHost databases
from the Library's homepage and selecting the Business Source Premier
database. Type political risk yearbook x
[x being the country of your choice] in the Publication Name field.
2) Doing an alphabetical search
for political risk yearbook
in the JHU Libraries Catalog
and clicking on the relevant country link.Index Islamicus
indexes literature on Islam, the Middle East, and the Muslim world, from 1906 to the present. Material cited in the Index Islamicus
includes not only work written about the Middle East, but also about other areas of the world with Muslim populations. Over 3,000 journals are monitored for inclusion in the database, together with conference proceedings, monographs, multi-authored works, and book reviews. LINK via CSA Databases
Oral History Online
provides in-depth indexing to more than 2,500 collections of oral history in English from around the world. The collection also provides keyword searching of more than 250,000 pages of full-text by over 6,000 individuals and contains pointers to 1,900 audio and video files and over 13,500 bibliographic records. LINK to OHORoutledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy (REP)
provides access to the latest scholarship and major developments in philosophical inquiry worldwide. The online equivalent of a 10-volume print encyclopedia, REP
is regularly upgraded with new material, revisions, and bibliographic updates. LINK to REPSocial Services Abstracts
provides bibliographic coverage back to 1980 of journal articles and dissertations relating to social welfare, social policy, and community development. LINK via CSA Databases
Worldwide Political Science Abstracts
is the result of a merger of Political Science Abstracts
and ABC POL SCI
. The database provides citations, abstracts, and indexing of the international serials literature in political science and its complementary fields, including international relations, law, and public administration/policy. LINK via CSA Databases.
Wilson Web databases updated
Wilson Web databases offer the following enhancements:
1) The main menu has been redesigned, making it easier to view your database options.
2) Previously the WilsonWeb search engine defaulted to searching within full text, sometimes leading to large sets of results, with many irrelevant items. You can now choose to expand a search to include the full text, but if you do not choose this option, the search engine will look for your terms only in the title, subject headings, abstract, and author.
3) On the main search screen, clicking on “Journal Directory” offers many options for finding out which titles are covered by the WilsonWeb databases. You can search by database, subject area, or titles available in “full text” only.
Visit Wilson Web now
Improvements to EBSCOHost
Some valuable new EBSCOhost features include:
1) You now have the option of registering for a personal account
. Look for the Sign in to My EBSCO
link on the top of the screen, just below the EBSCOhost logo. When you log into your account, you can save citations and searches from one session to the next, and set up an email alert. FirstSearch databases also offer an option of setting up your own account, allowing you to save searches and change some of the display settings.
2) The ability (in some EBSCOhost databases) to search for cited references.
Cambridge Scientific Abstracts updated
Cambridge Scientific Abstracts improvements include the following:
1) CSA has a redesigned main page and search engine, with greater choices for limiting or expanding a search, and offering the ability to set up a personal account to save searches and request email alerts.
2) Some of the databases available through CSA offer a particularly valuable feature in that many of the post-2000 records include a list of the references cited in the article’s bibliography. Each individual reference may also have links to an abstract and/or to other papers that cite the reference; these links increase the possibility of finding more potentially relevant articles.
Some of our databases have moved...
(covering 1972 to present) and PAIS Archive
(covering 1915 to 1976) are now both available through FirstSearch. The PAIS databases offer excellent coverage of global public policy issues. LINK via FirstSearchInternational Political Science Abstracts
is now available through the EBSCOHost databases. LINK via EBSCOhostSociological Abstracts
and International Bibliography of the Social Sciences
are now available through CSA. LINK via CSA Databases
The 7th floor lounge area has new chairs, side tables, and ottomans for your studying comfort. We'll post a picture very soon!
"The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author(s). The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies of The Johns Hopkins University."
copyright © 2011 SAIS Library, The Johns Hopkins University